Pemberville Village Council Minutes
of 3/5/02


Mayor Oberhouse called the regular meeting of Council to order on Tuesday, March 5th, 2002 at 7:30 p.m.  A prayer was offered by Douglas Wegman followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.   

Present for roll call were Vandersall, Panning, Wegman, Mazur, Brann, and Sharp.  Also attending the meeting were Police Chief, Dan O’Connor; Solicitor, Michael Marsh; BPA member, Charles Aring; Polly Weitzel from the Sentinel-Tribune; Jeff Jackson; Kathryn White; Ray and Pat Keller.

The minutes from February 19th, 2002 were reviewed and as there were no additions or corrections, the minutes stand approved as submitted.

Bills in the amount of $7,310.44 were presented for approval of payment.  Vandersall moved, seconded by Sharp, to approve payment of the bills.  The motion carried unanimously.

BPA:  Aring reported the video of the sewer lines on Forrest Avenue and East Street shows a section of broken pipe and a lot of leakage.  The next step is to get prices on what it would take to repair the infiltration problems.  The joints can be grouted where the pipes join together and pressure tested before or after.  This would help get the overload of water down.

The digging has started for the sludge holding tank and the contractor is hoping to pour concrete as the weather permits.

Ray and Pat Keller would like Council to waiver the easement on a section of their property 500’ of frontage by 200’ back from the center of the road so they can sell off five lots.  Panning moved to release from the easement for the wells, the area depicted by the map to be legally described by the surveyor, subject to the understanding by the Keller’s that this will resolve all issues concerning the validity of the well easements now and in the future.  Seconded by Vandersall, the motion carried unanimously.

Pat Keller said her daughter lives in the house on their property and is paying for water and feels she should get if free as per the agreement for the easements on the property.  She was told she is getting free water but is paying a sewer charge, which everyone pays whether hooked into the sewer or not.

Jeff Jackson presented the 2001 Annual Fire Department Year End Report and brought along the thermo imaging camera and cardiac monitor they recently purchased.

Kathy White reported the swimming pool needs to be painted this year and some cement work done at a cost of approximately $20,000.00.  They are asking for help from the Village for this in addition to the $10,000.00 for operation.  Council has no problem with the $10,000.00 but the Village is looking at some major expenses this year and there is not enough money to go around. They feel the Township should accept some of the responsibility for maintaining the pool.  Solicitor Marsh said that according to the County Prosecutor, the Township is allowed to make contributions.  Kathy agreed to approach them.  Council commented the pool is an asset to Pemberville and they appreciate the dedication of the Pool Board members.

Ordinance #1232, An Ordinance to make Permanent Appropriations for Current Expenses and other Expenditures of the Village of Pemberville, State of Ohio, during the fiscal year ending December 31, 2002, had its second reading.

Council chose Monday, May 20th, for Spring Cleanup.

Tom Ward asked when we are going to start on the alleyway to his storage building.  He would like to have it done by spring, as he will need access to get in and out.  The right-of-way needs to be marked before any trees are cut down and stone is laid.  Elaine Buchman, 412 Perry Street, should also be notified of what is going to be done.

A listing of utility costs for new homes has been compiled.  “Storm sewers are the responsibility of the property owners and should be done according to Village specifications,” should be added to the list.

MAYOR: Shared information on the Bowling Green sponsored Bike to Work Day, conference for newly elected officials and new Council members and the Northwest Ohio Mayors & Managers Association meeting.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

CHIEF O’CONNOR:  Has been referred to TMACOG for a traffic count on the grade crossings.

Presented the Police Department Income/Expense Report for January.

VANDERSALL:  The Personnel Committee will meet with all employees at 1:00 p.m. tomorrow.

PANNING:  Is the mediator between Council and PIMA (Pemberville Independent Merchants Association).  Events they have planned are “Touch up the Town” on May 11th and The Community Garage Sale, July 20th.

The BPA feels they will probably have to raise water rates per thousand gallons.

SHARP:  A concrete apron for the new utility building would cost between $12,000 and $15,000.  A meeting will be held with the Street Department employees Thursday, at 3:30 p.m. to look at the bids.  The contractor will start March 13th or 14th.

Sky Bank is not matching Citizens Savings Bank interest rates.

BRANN:  The Fire Department and Methodist Church will be holding a Chicken Barbecue Benefit Saturday, May 4th, for a fireman who’s wife was seriously injured in a car accident.

As there was no further business to be brought before Council at this time, Vandersall moved, seconded by Panning, to adjourn the meeting at 9:10 p.m.